Sunday, July 8, 2012

Demo, Super-Awesome Flyball Dog In The Making

This weekend can best be summed up in one word: HOT.

Heat index climbed well above 100 degrees on Saturday with no clouds in the sky and a pathetic breeze.  Racing, the humans, and the dogs, got so hot that we took a 2 hour break from 3pm to 5pm to cool down.

Thank goodness Sunday cooled down significantly (if you can call 80 "cool").

Pan and Trophy earned their next titles, Pan got to try her paw as Start Dog (and loved it!), and Demo debuted in preflight and totally rocked it.  His focus was SPOT ON and AMAZING with the comotion in the race building from the main ring.

My dogs and I managed to run clean the vast majority of the weekend.  The only blemishes being a bad pass by Pan on Malley because Malley bobbled the ball the same instant I released Pan, so I literally couldn't do anything to stop it, and the second being a random, and very out-of-character, early dropped ball by Trophy.

Due to the heat and the ability of our teams to easily run under 24.999 seconds (in order to earn 25 points per heat)  I didn't even bother trying to push close passes.  Most of my passes this weekend we around 8 feet wide.  We didn't have a pass caller either, but no one wanted to rerun dogs on Saturday, the wider the better as long as we were making time!

At one point the head table told our times keeper to let us know our passes were all like 8 feet, and she promptly told them we don't care today as long as we run clean. :)

Pan earned 900+ points and Trophy 800, so I'm happy.  Trophy's foot held up great even though he had to suffer through the torture of having his feet encased in vet wrap all weekend.

The big star of the weekend, for me anyway, was Demo.  Talk about cool as a cucumber.  When he hit the lanes he had a two track mind:  1. BALL, 2. TUG!  He was so focused, confident, and fast despite the temperature.  His fastest time was a 4.636, and he averaged 5.1's and that was with him taking a ball off the floor and me too tried to run with him as much as I need to to keep him motivated and pouring on the speed.  We will get there!




You don't have to jump so high, BabyDog, they're only 8 inch jumps!


I am SO GLAD I don't have to get up tomorrow, the sun gave my body a beating, I am so drained!  However, the Neutrogena sunscreen I bought (SPF100) is pretty amazing.  I managed to walk away with only a burned left shoulder. :)

Trophy's Flyball Hangover in the car on the way home Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment